Rehabilitation and Maintenance Center (MASH"A 7000) is a logistics center that is subordinate to the IDF's Technology and Logistics Division. It is the body responsible for maintaining, repairing, converting and improving combat vehicles, communications equipment, observation equipment and more. Among its various roles, MASH"A also assembles the Merkava Siman 4 tank.
There are three MASH"A centers:
- MASH"A TAHA"SH (formerly 7100) - located in Dori Camp (Tel Hashomer Base). (NB: TAHA"SH is an acronym for Tel Hashomer.)
- MASH"A Vehicle (formerly 7200) - located in south Haifa.
- MASH"A Digital Electronics (formerly 7300) - located in the Yadin Camp (Tzrifin).
Table of Contents
- 1 Position According to Centers
- 2 History
- 3 Emblems of MASH"A Prior to Consolidation
- 4 Further Reading
- 5 External Links
- 6 Footnotes
Position According to Centers
MASH"A TAHA"SH is where the following units are located:
- Headquarters - the seat of the MASH"A commander and other staff
- Production Management (NA"I) - manages all customer relations and also the resources required to maintain each and every product (budgets, manpower, etc)
- Engineering - Its mission is to look after the engineering aspect of maintenance. In addition, there are several sections that develop engineering solutions to problems discovered during maintenance, The engineering section is divided between TAHA"SH, which is responsible for the Merkava and assembly, and Tzrifin which is responsible for the digital electronics plant, in addition there is an engineering department in MASHA"K automotive.
- Assembly Plant - a factory that deals with the repair/overhaul of tanks/armored combat vehicles.
- Merkava and Armored Combat Vehicle Factory - plant that manufactures and maintains the Merkava tank.
- digital electronics and El-Op/Boundary Protection and El-Op - part of the digital electronics project to repair all electro-optical devices (day-night cameras, thermal cameras, etc) and other systems installed on tanks such as fire control assemblies.
- Vehicle factory - responsible for the maintenance of all tracked vehicles.
- Armored Combat Vehicle plant - responsible for the maintenance and upgrade of all armored vehicles.
MASH"A Digital Electronics
- BA"M (Workshop) IT Systems - responsible for the repair of all IDF IT systems such as radios, radars and more.
- BA"M Medical - responsible for repairing all medical devices.
- BA"M Production and Installation -
- Unit 5100 - Special systems maintenance unit
- BA"M Border Defense - elite unit of MASH"A engaged in field operations and field intelligence in all sectors of the state and beyond the green line, specializing in the installation and maintenance of long-range observation systems and special optoelectronic detection services.
Rehabilitaion and Maintenance Center 7100 began with the Basic Workshop 1 (acronym - BM"B)(במ״ב of the Transport Service, which was established on the exhibition grounds near the Tel Aviv airport during the tumultuous times of the War of Independence. In August 1948, of 1948 it moved to Tzrifin and the name was changed to BM"B 681. In September 1949 following the ending of the Transportation Corps, the base was put under the control of the Technical Corps. In April 1951, the Technical Corps Command became the Headquarters of the Chief Ordnance Officer. With the reorganization of the Quartermaster Division and the transition to logistic centers, BM"B 681 was subordinated directly to the Quartermaster Division and in August of 1966 it became Rehabilitation and Maintenance Center 681. Then in January 1972 it was changed to MASH"A 7100. At it various stages of development, its sub-units were located in Tzrifin, Beit Dagan, Tel Hashomer and Kiryat Shaul, until its current structure was consolidate. At MASH"A 7100 the production line of the Merkava tank is located in Tel Hashomer. Since 1979 more than 1,000 various model tanks have been manufactured, starting with the Merkava Siman 1 to the Merkava Siman 4.
Since the Second Intifada the Center has installed superstructures (an enclosed structure on top with armored glass windows) on Merkava tanks and Achtzarit armored vehicles. In addition, the Merkava Siman 3 was also fitted with an LIC configuration designed for Low Intensity Conflicts.
Together with IAI, the center developed protection for the D9R bulldozers, and later quickly developed and installed slat armor cages on the bulldozers to protect the crew against anti-tank missiles. It received the 2006 Ground Forces Commander award for this accomplishment.
The Rehabilitation Center in Haifa, previously called BM"B (Inspection Workshop) was established at the end of the War of Independence on a British military base. In the past, equipment to and from the center traveled on railroad tracks. In 2017, the unit won the Chief of Staff's Award for Outstanding Unit in Technology.
Emblems of MASH"A Prior to Consolidation
Moshe Givati, in their hands steel forged - the story of the rehabilitation and maintenance center 7100 1948-1996, Tel Aviv: Ministry of Defense publication, 1997.
MASH"A, at the ATA"L (Technology and Logistics Division) site.
Lilach Shoval, IDF Chief of Staff's Award: First place, Golani bypasses Shayetet 13, at NRG